It might not be something that you check every time you get ready to drive your car, but the timing belt is critically important. This is why you will want to know when it is time to replace the one in your vehicle. That being said, it is not always easy to know when the time comes to do that. Thankfully, there are some indications that your timing belt is beginning to pass its life expectancy. Continue reading to learn about some of these signs and how you know it is time to visit your local mechanic to get it taken care of.
While most vehicles on the road today can now go more than 100,000 miles before the timing belt needs to be replaced, there are always exceptions to the rule. Here are some indications that your timing belt may be about to break.
- The engine fails to start - If your timing belt has snapped, your engine will not start. It is as simple as that.
- A strange noise is coming from under the hood - The timing belt is meant to help the valves and pistons surrounding your engine work in perfect harmony together. If that stops happening, strange noises can result.
- The engine starts to misfire - This is a warning sign that you will definitely want to pay attention to. It is not normal for an engine to misfire, and the common culprit is an aging timing belt.
- You have a rough-sounding engine - An old timing belt will cause your engine to work harder than it should. When this happens, you will notice it.
- Fuel performance noticeably declines - If you start having to fill up more often than usual, consider your timing belt as a possible reason.
Timing Belt Replacement in Merritt Island, FL
Replacing your timing belt before it is too old is always the most prudent course of action. Make sure that recognize the warning signs and get this taken care of sooner rather than later. If you have an aging timing belt, bring your car to Inmon Automotive so that we can take a look and get it replaced if necessary.